History

Clayfield College was officially founded on 9 February 1931, with just nine students and five teachers. In the subsequent years, Clayfield College has continued to grow and succeed through the dedication and hard work of our Principals: Miss Nancy Ashburn, Miss Ida Kennedy OAM, Mrs Carolyn Hauff AM, Mr Brian Savins, Ms Melissa Powell and Mrs Kathy Bishop. Our current Principal, Dr. Andrew Cousins, continues to strengthen our future endeavours and strategic focus.
 
Clayfield College Foundation Day continues to be celebrated on 9 February each year, bringing together our current students and staff, past students and special guests to recognise the important heritage of our College.

Clayfield College has a rich history of successful growth from small beginnings into one of Queensland's leading independent schools. Please enjoy some of the milestones below.

Our Historical Timeline

2020

Dr. Andrew Cousins was appointed the seventh Principal of Clayfield College, following the resignation of Mrs Kathy Bishop in 2019. Dr. Cousins brings a keen intelligence as an educator and is a part of a new generation of educational leaders. He is passionate about educating the whole child, igniting their natural curiosity and developing them to be bold, imaginative and reflective.

2019

The Heritage trail was opened, the combined effort of staff, Old Collegians and the College Executive.

2016
  • The Years 6 - 9 Precinct is an exciting refurbishment to student facilities, offering 10 classrooms over three levels to cater for our Years 6 - 9 students. This building has embraced the heritage of the College whilst creating outstanding facilities, providing a strong platform for the future growth of the campus.

  • Mrs Kathy Bishop was appointed as sixth Principal of the College. Her achievements included developing The Clayfield Way 2017-2021, overseeing the staff commitment to The Clayfield Classroom, and working to complete the 30-year Clayfield College Master Plan

2015
  • The newly refurbished Nancy Ashburn Learning Resource Centre was officially opened by Dame Quentin Bryce.

  • Melissa Powell was appointed as Principal after the retirement of Brian Savins after 7 years as Principal.

2008 - 2014

The Swimming Pool Complex underwent a refurbishment to include classrooms, a viewing concourse and new changeroom facilities. In 2010 the new Primary School precinct was completed with 10 new classrooms and administration facilities and playgounds The Pre-School facility was also opened. 

2007

Mr Brian Savins commenced as fourth Principal of Clayfield College.

2003

Turrawan Hospital was purchased in 2003, refurbished in 2006 to accommodate 120 boarders in Boarding House facility, and was renamed the Carolyn Hauff Boarding House who retired in 2006 after 16 years as Principal.

1990's
  • 1990 - Miss Kennedy retired in 1990 after 26 years of service.
  • 1991 - Mrs Carolyn Hauff was appointed Principal following Miss Kennedy's retirement. 
  • 1994 - Stage 1 of Clayfield College’s Development Plan, incorporating the refurbishment of the Junior School buildings.
  • 1997 - Stage 2 the Ida Kennedy Physical Education Centre was built and opened.
1980's
  • 1980 - The Fine Arts Complex for Speech & Drama, Music and Art was opened.
  • 1984 - The New Swimming Pool was opened.
  • 1985 - Circular Drive and the Chapel were built.
1970's
  • 1971 - The new Boarding facility was opened on Gregory Street and Ashburn House was established in honour of our first Principal.
  • 1973 - The green and white striped uniform was introduced.
1960's
  • 1964 - Miss Ashburn retired after 33 years as Clayfield College’s first Principal and the library was opened in the same year dedicated to her memory.
  • 1964 - Miss Ida Kennedy was appointed as Principal of Clayfield College. During her time as Principal, Clayfield College underwent a rapid program of expansion including a new science block and a separate primary department, a new boarding school in Gregory Street and the current Assembly Hall.
1950's
  • 1956 - The College opened its first gymnasium.
  • 1958 - Henderson House was introduced and the Youngman colour was changed to white so Henderson could be red.
1940's
  • 1941 - The Old Girls Association was formed in 1941 and the first meeting was held on 23rd May.
  • 1946 - The House system was introduced with four houses - Campbell, Gibson, Radcliffe and Youngman. Gold was also added to the green and blue College colours.

1930's
  • 1931 - Clayfield College opened as the Primary Department of Somerville House, with Miss Nancy Ashburn as Mistress-in-Charge of nine girls and boys, and was supervised by the then Co-Principals on Somerville House, Miss Harker and Miss Jarrett, who visited the school every Friday afternoon. 


  • 1934 - There were 66 students enrolled, a Secondary Department was established and Miss Nancy Ashburn appointed Head Mistress and then Principal a few years later.


  • 1935 - Student of the College, Edith Logan and Joan Earnshaw, designed the school badge.  The College motto ‘Luceat Lux Vestra’ – Let Your Light Shine was chosen.

  • 1937 - The P&F was established in 1937, and fundraising began for the new pool, which opened in 1939.

  • 1939 - Boarding at Clayfield College was established with six students: Heather McDonald, Margaret Henderson, Olive Searle, Annable Parry-Okenden, Janice Wilson and Nancy Fowles. The first edition of the Clayfield College magazine, 'The Collegian', was produced.

1920

The PMSA purchased and built the College, the main building was officially opened on 2 March 1920 and renamed 'The Brisbane Boys' College' although it was commonly known as Clayfield College throughout the 1920’s. Brisbane Boys' College was relocated to Toowong in 1930.

1902

In the beginning - The tradition of Clayfield College began in 1902 with Mr Rudd’s school for boys on Bonney Avenue with 4 students, as enrolments increased it moved to a house on the corner of Bayview Terrace and Sandgate Road.